The rise in medical home starts over the last six years has been driven by the growing shortage of primary care clinicians and the increase prevalence of chronic diseases. Medical home adoption has risen from 49 percent in 2006 to 79 percent in 2009 to 86 percent in 2012, according to 95 healthcare companies who completed the sixth annual Healthcare Intelligence Network survey on Patient Centered Medical Homes (PCMH).
A patient centered medical home is personalized, coordinated and delivered by a team of professionals that puts the patient and caregiver at the center of the team. The care team for the patient may include a doctor, nurse, health educator and other healthcare professionals such as a pharmacist or physical therapy assistant .
When asked in 2006, only 33 percent of respondents were trying to establish a medical home. However, by 2012, 52 percent have established medical homes for their populations including 59 percent of existing medical homes are now or soon will be part of an accountable care organization (ACO). With the rise of patient centered medical homes, ACOs and other emerging healthcare delivery models, healthcare organizations will need to engage patients in ways that increase quality, reduce cost and improve their overall healthcare experience.
Healthcare Intelligence Network also created the infographic shown below to accompany the survey highlighting following key areas in medical home adoption from 2006 to 2012:
- Top three ways to educate and engage patients in the medical home
- Barriers to patient centered medical home adoption
- Time for medical home conversion
- Climbing of patient satisfaction rates
- Top health IT tools adoption
[schema type="review" url="http://www.hitconsultant.net/2012/09/05/patient-centered-medical-home-infographic" name="Patient Centered Medical Home: Paving the Road to Patient Satisfaction" description="Infographic highlights how the patient centered medical home has been shown to lower costs while improving healthcare outcomes and patient satisfaction" author="Fred Pennic" pubdate="2011-09-05" ]
Latest posts by Fred Pennic (see all)
- 7 Security Trends Healthcare Organizations Will Confront in 2014 - December 6, 2013
- NYC Starts $100M Biotech Fund To Invest in Life Sciences Companies - December 4, 2013
- Shareable Ink Raises $10.7M Series C; Adds Former Allscripts CEO to Board of Directors - December 3, 2013