Nike selects 10 health & fitness startups for TechStars Nike+ Accelerator that will leverage Nike+ platform to broaden and enhance the Nike+ ecosystem.
Today NIKE, Inc. announced 10 startups that are participating in the Nike+ Accelerator program powered by TechStars. The programs leverages the success of the Nike+ platform by connecting with viable companies that share a commitment to helping people lead more active lives. The Nike+ Accelerator selected startups will start their three month program today in Portland, OR and will spend their time in the program developing products/services that leverages Nike+ platform and API. Startups will each receive $20,000 in funding including startup advice and mentorship from mentors like TechStars’ David Cohen, author Tim Ferriss and the co-founders of Birchbox and Foursquare.
In the official press release, Stefan Olander, Nike VP of Digital Sport said,
“We are excited by the response to the Nike+ Accelerator and the high caliber of applicants to the program. We recently celebrated the first year of NikeFuel and the Accelerator program is a natural next step to broaden and enhance the Nike+ ecosystem – allowing Nike to offer richer experiences to athletes of all levels.”
Selected startups span a broad range of activity and health sectors including training, coaching, gaming, sport, wellness and rewards. The 10 startups selected to participate in the Nike+ Accelerator program are:
- FitDeck: Digital decks of exercise playing cards that deliver ever-changing workouts for fitness and sports.
- GoRecess: Helps users find, book and review fitness activities.
- Chroma.io: An indie game studio that creates virtual worlds tied to real-world activity.
- CoachBase: Provides a digital sports coaching platform.
- GoFitCause: Leverages fitness data as a means of raising money for charities.
- HighFive: Ad network for health and fitness apps that helps people achieve their goals by rewarding them along their journey.
- Sprout At Work: Provider of corporate wellness solutions leveraging social and gamification tools to inspire employees and empower employers.
- GeoPalz: An interactive gaming and rewards platform for kids and families.
- Incomparable Things: Creates activity-driven fantasy sports leagues.
- RecBob: Offers a platform that makes recreational sports easy by organizing play.
The Nike+ Accelerator program culminates in mid-June with the opportunity to pitch angel investors, venture capitalists, influential industry leaders and Nike executives during Investor Demo Days, including a day at Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., and a day in California’s Silicon Valley. More details on the program are available at the Nike+ Accelerator website. Developers can get more information the Nike+ API at the Nike+ API Developer portal or follow @nikedeveloper.
Latest posts by Jasmine Pennic (see all)
- 2 Roadblocks to the Realization of Big Data in Healthcare - December 5, 2013
- Infographic: The Challenging Landscape for Healthcare IT Executives - December 4, 2013
- 4 Mobile Health Challenges for Medical Device & Diagnostic Firms - December 3, 2013