Healthcare pioneer and investor Ivo Nelson announced the launch of his latest venture, Next Wave Health that will help start-up healthcare information technology companies succeed with management advice, operational support and capital.
“Big ideas are at the heart of any successful healthcare technology company. But smart visionaries need more than big ideas. They need capital and they need advisors who understand their industry and their business. Next Wave Health will bring some of the brightest minds in healthcare together to work with start-up and early stage companies on their vision and managing their growth,” said Nelson.”
According to Nelson, “the healthcare industry is in the perform storm right now” and while some change will come from the big names in the healthcare industry, many solutions will come from forward thinking entrepreneurs. Changing reimbursement models, mobile health, digital health, and the promise of big data is creating a growing health tech startup ecosystem to address these opportunities.
From having the right solution/market fit to raising capital, creating a health tech startup is challenging. Next Wave Health hopes to serve as stratgic advisors and investors, guiding smart, agile entrepreneurs through the start-up stage.
For 30 years, Nelson has been a leader and an innovator in the healthcare industry. He introduced large-scale outsourcing to the provider segment of healthcare and pioneered new approaches for improving clinical process through technology.
In 1988, he helped start the healthcare division of Perot Systems, an outsourcing company founded by Ross Perot. In 1992, he helped start the Houston-based Insource Management Group (IMG), later renamed Healthlink. As CEO, Nelson grew Healthlink to be the largest privately held, provider-focused healthcare technology consulting firm in the industry when IBM acquired it in 2005. Following IBM’s acquisition of Healthlink in June 2005, Nelson served as the leader of IBM’s Global Healthcare Provider business.
In 2009, he co-founded Encore Health Resources with Dana Sellers to assist healthcare organizations in mining the business intelligence accrued after decades of process and technology improvements. Encore is one of the fastest-growing consultancies in the industry and has been named one of Modern Healthcare’s “Best Places to Work in Healthcare” three years in a row.
Next Wave Health currently serves as a strategic advisor or investor for several healthcare technology companies including:
- Health Care DataWorks, a leading provider of business intelligence solutions
- MedSynergies, which helps physicians increase market share and improve patient care
- HealthPost, which delivers cloud-based, healthcare booking solutions
- SCI Solutions, which delivers software that enables hospitals to better manage their physician alignment strategies and reduce operating costs.
- Nelson also continues to serve on the board of Encore Health Resources.
Latest posts by Fred Pennic (see all)
- Shareable Ink Raises $10.7M Series C; Adds Former Allscripts CEO to Board of Directors - December 3, 2013
- Infographic: 5 Issues Impacting Patient Data Management - November 29, 2013
- AHA ‘Respectfully Urges’ CMS to Begin ICD-10 Testing by January 2014 - November 27, 2013